Monday 14 May 2007

Lost in translation

In my line of business, I deal with customers and vendors from around the world. Many of them in Asian countries speak very little English but they send me emails in English. I suspect they rely heavily on the translation tools for help.

Sometimes it takes me a while to decipher what they’re trying to say. I have often picked up the phone, rattle off very quickly and be greeted with silence on the other end, followed by the apologetic party telling me to repeat very slowly, and to wait for a reply via email. They may not be able to speak English that well, they can certainly craft an impressive email!

Their polite emails always begin with a nice greeting and lovely words to brighten your day. Take this person for example. He begins his email with “May Your Achievements Always Like A Sun And Your Efforts Like A Sun Flower." Now, doesn’t that just bring a smile to your face?

Then he says, “My interest is already reverted with out any flaw or vacuums.” Ok, I see his point but I can’t stop this crazy brain of mine from conjuring images of the floor and vacuum cleaner. Stop it! He’s just being formal and watch out because he’s getting serious! He went on to say “…once we open the deal the deal must be as clear as crystal and i really mean it.”

Yes sir! Understood!

2 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

HEY I just got an idea, I'm going to write an email using words like that to my husband and see how he reacts! YEAH :)

Blur Ting said...

Then you must write in Chinese or a different language and get it translated on the free websites!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...