Sunday 5 August 2007

Unbelievable!

YK and I were shopping in Bugis Junction Mall this morning when a man approached us. He’s an insurance agent representing Great Eastern Life which has a booth at the atrium this weekend.

He was trying to promote the company’s newly launched products. I declined politely but agreed to fill in my particulars at his request.

He started chatting with YK when I was busy writing down my details. When he found out that YK’s in St Pats School, he said he studied in St Joseph (which is affiliated to St Pats), followed by St Andrews Junior College. That caught my attention. I was from that junior college! I got excited and asked him “Which year?”

As it turns out, we are of the same age and went to SAJC at the same time, but we were in different classes. Coincidence? Yes! But that’s not all.

He saw my family name when I handed him the form. He asked if I’m a Teochew. I said “Yes.” Well, his mother is a Teochew too, with the same family name. Now, our family name is rather uncommon here, so he got excited and asked about my background.

What a surprise to find out that his mother is our distant relative who grew up in our Lim Chu Kang village. Their family owned a provision shop near my grandfather’s. I found out that both our grandparents were good friends way back.

As we were reminiscing about our village, we realized that we even attended the same primary school! I have completely no recollection of this person but WOW, what a small world!

No doubt Singapore is a small island with a population of only 4.6 million, I still find it quite unbelievable!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blur, This reminds me of a post I read over at The Dog's Breakfast not two days ago. The link to that blog is on my site. Its the post entitled, "The Twilight Zone". You should check it out. Actually, her blog is really fun, and creative like yours. I think you'll enjoy it.

Anyway, I am ALL about synchronicity. I've experienced it WAY too often to dismiss the idea. Isn't it cool! :)

Blur Ting said...

Hi Holly, thanks for pointing me to her site. I love it!

Yah, I think this is all quite karmic, like why we meet certain people and not others.

Anonymous said...

yeah blur,, just like u and me know the same company geltec... that's really bizarre... if we can have that connection...surely you'll meet up someone you know in Singapore!

Panthergirl said...

Wow!!! So glad Holly sent you to me (thanks, Holly!). That IS wild!!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...