Wednesday 17 October 2007

Thinking Thursday

I was driving along Balestier Road after I left the hospital that evening. The traffic along the 3-lane street was moving along slowly, until the first 2 lanes came to a standstill. I glanced out of the window and saw an attractive young lady standing by the side of the road. Sensing that she was about to dash across the road, I averted my eyes to my right and realised that the traffic on the 3rd lane was still moving.

In a split second, I saw her sprinting across the road without stopping and OMG, she was knocked down by a van! Wham! She fell on the road. Some pedestrains helped her to the centre divider where I saw her crouching in pain. It really wasn't the driver's fault for she came without warning and it would be highly impossible to avoid hitting her. I drove off but the vision of her falling to the ground stayed with me all the way home.

When I see accidents like this, the first thing I think about is the kids. What if they are so reckless on the roads? I read about fatal accidents in the papers almost everyday. Sometimes, a young life gets snuffed out all because of a second of carelessness. Other times, they're just unlucky to meet reckless drivers.

These days, I see lots of elderly folks in the hospitals. It's only natural that people become vulnerable and weak as they age but I'm often overwhelmed by a sense of sadness knowing that my strong and able parents will one day become old and weak. It is on days like this that I wish they are immortal.

Funny though, I have never thought about what I'll be like in my old age when I become weak and helpless. Will I feel frustrated if I can't do the things I enjoyed anymore or worse still, can't remember the faces of my loved ones... Oh, I don't really want to think about it now... I don't really want to admit that I'll age one day. I'll just wing it when the time comes...

10 comments:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I've always worried about how I'll cope in my old age and whether there will be someone to take care of me or not! I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it ...

Anonymous said...

I had plenty of time to ponder that during the 1-night hospital stay. I think we're on the right track by eating well and exercising. It's not 100% defence against disease but hopefully it will stave off being weak and helpless for as long as possible.

I wanna die by hitting a tree at high speed while alpine skiing at 80!

Blur Ting said...

Nick - it's too early to start worrying about your old age lah...

CH- Seeing a ward full of old folks, I'm sure you can't help but think about it. But I'd advise you to look ahead while skiing at 80 lor, or you'll end up with more sports injuries! I may not be around then to feed you!

Anonymous said...

yes i am the same... just wing it one day at a time...

Amel said...

OUCH about that lady!!! Traffic is dangerous indeed and you have to be careful.

When it comes to old age...sometimes I wonder if I don't understand much about what my parents (esp. Dad) are dealing with. They used to be so full of energy, but nowadays they tire easily and there are signs of physical deterioration already...Mom needs constant supply of supplements and Dad needs constant supply of medication, as well.

I've prayed to God that if He should take them away, then I hope He won't let them suffer long and that He'd do it at a time when I am able to go back to Indo.

Just the other day there was a discussion at MyLot about old age...and I told the person that I wouldn't think about that 'coz I didn't know whether I'd live long or not...I'd take whatever God gives me and hopefully if He gives me life till my old age, I'm able to accept everything gracefully, incl. the things I can't change.

SOUL said...

i hate to see things like that---and i read on a blog recently...a guy saw a young child get hit by a car- she was fine...thank GOD- but it knocked her right out of her SHOES!!!!

ps.. remind me to post of a similar story..for now..i am goin fishin.
latah.

Amel said...

Hi, Blur!

Go grab your award here:

Community Blogger Award

Mike Minzes said...

Age is something in the mind. If you want to stay young at heart, stay young in you mind. When the times comes when you can't anymore, you can say that you truely lived to the fullest.

J@n!ce said...

I hope the pretty girl is all right. This sounded scary to me esp that I just pick up driving again after 4 yrs. I wouldn't dare to drive along Balestier at this moment, it is really conjested. Maybe a few monts down the road when I am more "zai" (steady)... hehe ;p

Janice Ng

Anonymous said...

Blur, I have a strong feeling that you will be thriving well into your old age. I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of those people who - at 95 - was outside gardening one day, and just went to sleep that night, and... You take really good care of yourself, and I think that counts huge when it comes to remaining healthy and vital up until the end.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...