Friday 2 November 2007

Foodie Friday

So, how did my Friday night-out pan out?
.
Well, for starters, Ting was almost doing the "Come back here, David!" scene (see below on Bedtime reading) before I left the house. When told to put on her blouse, she reappeared before me ...
...with her blouse worn inside out!
.
We've been suffering in this heat for so many days, I was craving for something deliciously cold all week. After searching for the perfect dessert in my favourite food blog, I found his raving review of Heavenly Chendol and couldn't get it out of my head all day.
.
Naturally we had to head there for a bowl of icy heaven. Trouble is, the stall closes at 7pm and by the time we got there, the lights were off and they were already washing up. But the lady owner was so nice, she made us 2 bowls and insisted we had to eat right away.
.
So what if we had to eat our desserts before dinner? They were indeed the best chendol I had ever tasted. I was going "Oh, this is so good!" with every mouthful. The ice shaving, generously drenched in Gula Melaka was so fine and snowy. Apparently, the lady boss, Helen is so particular about her Gula Melaka (palm sugar) that she insists on driving to Malacca (almost 2-hour drive away in Malaysia) to buy the best stuff there to bring home. It was really GOOD Gula Melaka that I tasted!
.
What makes the entire dessert so heavenly is also the fresh coconut milk that she uses which is a big departure from the pre-packed ones normally used in other dessert stalls. I am very particular about the texture of red beans that go into my dessert and this one passed with flying colours. It was still warm, very soft and mushy with the right amount of sweetness. I could eat an entire bowl on its own!
.
Of course, what's Chendol without the green jelly Chendol? The Chendol is made daily here. With every bite, I could savour the wonderfully fragrant pandan-infused morsels mingled with coconut milk and red bean. Ah, so heavenly! Really the best!
.
I wish I could order another one but her stall was already closed. Well, it was time to look for proper dinner anyway. I did my homework before I left the house. The blog also talked about the famous beef noodles in the same food centre. How convenient! It was also near closing time, so the stall owner said most of the items were already sold out.
.
CH had the dry noodles with stewed beef tendons, beef slices and beef balls. I had a bowl of soup with beef slices and beef balls, without the noodles. I am not a big fan of beef noodles, so I can't give a good review here. I pinched some of CH's noodles and found the sauce to be pretty good. However, the beef slices were quite tough and the beef balls were too hard for my liking. I've had better ones. The soup tasted better when it came piping hot and somehow lost its flavour when it was cold.
.
As I didn't eat too much for dinner, I was somewhat hungry again later in the night. We stumbled across a durian stall by the road and decided to indulge in a good durian. This little pricky fruit from Pahang, Malaysia which weighed around 1.5kg and cost us S$21 (US$14), had only 6 pieces of fruit inside but the flesh was so fragrant, creamy and rich. Indeed worth every cent!

No comments:

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...