Sunday 10 February 2008

Belt up

We're back to the daily grind today. I'm glad all the feasting has finally come to a stop. It's back to oatmeal and simple food again.

Today's front page story is a grim one. Four young men were flung out of their car in a horrific car accident while they were on the way to the mall. Three died and one is in critical condition at the hospital. They were not wearing seat belts.

Two weeks ago, the same thing happened to four young men who went out for a spin. Their car veered off a windy road and smashed into a wall of trees, leaving two of them dead. The other two who were belted up survived the crash.

I'm often appalled at many people's reluctance to strap in. I still see parents driving around with their kids not properly seated or belted up. When push turns to shove, they do so unwillingly, cursing the traffic police and policies under their breath. What's up with that?

It's for your own safety, for goodness sake. Do yourself a favour, belt up every single time!

8 comments:

mooiness said...

Yeah I don't understand ppl's reluctance as well. As an inconvenience, it's not even that big a deal!

I shudder at the memory of me and my brother jumping around in the backseat, unbelted. Everyone in the car should be belted.

Anonymous said...

we definitely always buckle up baby bean in her car seat..she has a "big girl" child seat now... dont get it either.. many parents in JP also let their kids run loose in the back...

Jacqueline said...

Where I live, it is the law to properly buckle in your children, as well as yourself. I am thankful those laws are in place. There are still a few that defy the law, but thankfully, their number is diminishing, the high fines deters them quite well! ;)
The winter here has been terribly bad, with many accidents. I hope that all those on the road buckle up.

La delirante said...

Many fatal accidents could be avoided by using the seat belt as you well mention. I got used to it once there was this law in my country but before almost nobody buckled up. I am glad they have this law nowadays in my country.

Have a lovely day!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

People never learn. It's worse here. BT. I've seen parents who have their children on their laps when they drive!!! And the authorities are just as bad cos half the time, they turn a blind eye ... sigghhhh ...

SOUL said...

it does surprise me how many people are simply too lazy to put a buckle on-- or especially to buckle up a child. when i see that i want to pull them over and cuss them out myself. people just don't THINK.
and you're right it is sad.

have a happy day-- with happy thoughts .

Amel said...

Safety is very important indeed. :-))))

The Real Mother Hen said...

It happens here so often too.
The fine is about $100, yet people still don't do it.
Sigh.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...