Monday 18 February 2008

The dream office

I got a shock when I called our landlord yesterday. I was told our office rental is going to cost twice as much when we renew our lease in a few month's time. I had already anticipated this because of the bullish market, but that's really too much. We have to give up our cosy office in a nice development in search of a cheaper alternative.

For one, we don't need to be in a prestigious office building as ours is a quiet business. Most of our customers are not based in Singapore anyway, so we don't expect many visitors. I also prefer a place that is near the kids' school, so they can drop by after school if they like.

My search began yesterday. The first place that I saw wasn't ideal but just as I was driving around the estate, I came across a charming little house behind a mall that can be made into a cosy office and a place for the kids to chill out after school.

I called the number hanging on the gate. The owner, Andrea, said I could arrange for viewing if I like but she was in a meeting and would call me back when she's free. I waited for her to call, but to no avail. When I swung by the place again in the evening, it looked even more attractive in the dusky afternoon light. I was even more determined to view inside.

I spent a couple of hours before bedtime poring over my gardening books to see how I can transform the little green patch by the porch into a lush tropical paradise. On my way to work this morning, I stopped by again and texted the owner to arrange for a 9am viewing. No response from her.

At 8.15am, I decided to call her. The phone rang but she hung up on me. What's up with this person? Maybe she has already found a tenant? But still, she shouldn't just ignore my call. Would I want to have a landlord like that?

Sigh, I felt my dream dissipate into thin air. Oh well, my search continues...

22 comments:

mooiness said...

Although the place looks nice, this could be a blessing in disguise. You are right about the agent/owner - imagine if you need to contact her for "real" problems.

Best of luck in the search! :)

Unknown said...

maybe she was just hungry :)

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Gee, that's no way to run a business. Even if the place was already taken, the least she could do was tell you so, right?

Well, take it as a blessing in disguise. The place could be full of evil spirits lurking around ... LOL!

Here's hoping you get a nice place soon. Good luck, ya.

Blur Ting said...

haha, the hungry lady finally called at 10am asking if I wish to view the place. She told me she would send her maid to unlock the place for viewing at 11am. I got there, stood waiting for 10 minutes and when nobody turned up, called her. Her maid came 10 minutes later and opened up the place for me. I had somewhat lost enthusiasm for this place by now. Thank goodness the interior didn't quite match my imagination and would require a major overhaul before I could make it look proper for an office. So, that was it.

I have another location to view later this week. That seem like a better choice. We'll see.

Michelle said...

My sympathy, Ting. We're still looking for a house to rent here and I'm finding some agents are either rude or lazy. They don't answer phones, emails... it's like they don't care if they rent or not!

But I will say that if you didn't get it - it wasn't the right place. I know from our renting houses experience that the ones we applied for and never got meant something better alwats turned up later.

... trying to remember that myself this time! ;-)

The World According To Me said...

Hi

Sorry to hear the dream office wasn't such a dream after all.

Good luck with the search, keep us updated.

WaterLearner said...

Good Luck!! Somehow or other ... you will find your dream office. :-)

SOUL said...

i cannot stand people like that! why don't they just talk to people..how hard is it to say it';s been rented--or whatever?
ugh.
some peoples kids. i tell ya.

anyhow-- sounds like yesterday just wasn't kind to alot of ppl.
hope today is better,
c ya later-

SOUL said...

i just saw the "maybe she was hungry"
THAT is funny!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

I agree with Mooiness that this could have been a blessing in disguise. It's good it didn't quite match your expectations when you finally saw it as now you don't have to be concerned about dealing with the landlord.

Good luck with your search. That's craziness your rent has doubled, is that typical of Singapore? It happens in New York all the time unfortunately.

The Real Mother Hen said...

OMG, even office rental is going to cost so much?

Ting, what about having a 40ft dry van sitting next to your house? I think it works best.

Really!

Blur Ting said...

Hi Michelle, I agree with your view too.

I tend to choose units based on good feelings about the place too. Also, there must be alot of natural light so my plants can survive too.

Blur Ting said...

Hi World - Yah, I think I built too much fantasies about that place without looking carefully. I guess one should never buy a house based on what they see on the outside. Getting a real feel of the place is more important.

Blur Ting said...

Water - You're right. I'm going to take my time. In fact, there are no lack of units as I scan the papers each day. I'm sure I'll find something.

Blur Ting said...

Soul - I remember how quickly you found your new place! But I'm sure you've had your share of inefficient real estate agents. Maybe, for me, that was a retribution for being mean to the lady at the phone shop :-P

Blur Ting said...

Fish - Looking at how run down the place is, it would definitely be so difficult to get the landlord to fix up the place to make it more liveable.

I know how expensive it is in NY. It wasn't that bad in Singapore but over the last 2 years, the real estate prices have just gone crazy. Everyone's just wondering when the bubble's going to burst.

Blur Ting said...

MH - Yah, I know! It's a really good idea. If the goverment allows that, I would make a container house in our farm where I can keep my books and have a cosy place to chill out.

For the office, it has to be somewhere accessible for the staff. Plus we need to be close to the banks, food centre etc.

Anonymous said...

a real good location can suck if the landlord or whatever is a real ass... it really could be a blessing in disguise... someone is looking out for ya!

Mike Minzes said...

I have a feeling you are going to find the perfect place! It's just around the corner :)

Blur Ting said...

Yah, you could be right, Mike! I'll go look round the corner tomorrow :-)

La delirante said...

Good luck on your search! I hate it when people ignore me (calls, sms or e-mails).

I am tired of renting flats. After two years of renting the price will increase considerably so we are hoping to get our own place soon.

Blur Ting said...

Yah, Wen. I'm also tired of renting and moving every few years.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...