Tuesday 17 June 2008

Kampong Glam

I have been wanting to visit Kampong Glam for the longest time and an opportunity presented itself after a meeting in town today. Traditionally a Malay residential area with ethnic-based activities, it is today a very touristy area. Thank goodness I blended in quite well in my casual attire and digital camera. Several shopkeepers even asked me where I came from. One asked "You're from L.A?" I simply smiled. Anyway, enjoy the tour with me...

The beautiful Sultan Mosque.


Arab Street.

Another view of the mosque.


It is today a neat little shopping enclave for textiles and regional handicrafts.





Trishaw rider and BMW plying the narrow street.

Rattan goods for sale.

A quaint looking little kiosk. I wish it were for sale.


Colourful conserved shophouses.

Lots of carpet stores.

This gentleman asked me where I was from and tried to sell me the little carpet stool. Today only, special offer $90!

There are lots of eclectic shops and interesting nooks.



Nice graffiti on the pillar too!

5 comments:

The World According To Me said...

Wow. Amazing, vibrant pictures.

The mosque is really beautiful.
I love the quirky kiosk and all the colourful buildings.

Yep, even your graffiti is pretty!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Nice! Looks like Kampong Glam is getting more vibrant than ever now.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Wow, I love the place ... The colours are so vibrant and I'm sure wifey would get a kick out of the place. She loves places like these ... And the mosque is an absolute beauty!

Anonymous said...

And just where do you think you're going to put that kiosk?

Blur Ting said...

CH - ehhh, how about in the patio. I will put cold beer inside. When you are thirsty, you drop in $10 and a can of beer will roll out!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...