Monday 23 June 2008

Today's Tuesday

Early this morning, the entire road near SK's school was closed off to traffic because of an accident. Flashing lights from police cars, a fallen motorbike, a white helmet and belongings scattered across 4 lanes bore testimony to another fatal road accident. The sight of a black police tent covering the deceased sent shivers down my spine. It was a grim sight to witness at the break of dawn.

There are far too many motorbike accidents on our roads. If you ride a bike, please, please be very careful.

Last night, I received a texted message from a friend I haven't seen in 2 years. She said, "I met ET at a function and he said you've remarried. Congrats!"

I sat up in my chair and replied immediately, "I'm dating but not married", wondering how this story ever got spun on the grapevine.

Thinking back, I must have said that to someone a few years ago to fend off unwanted attention. Well, the good news is, I'm meeting my friend for lunch today. Not ET, but Evelyn. Our lunch date is way overdue. We had been planning to meet since two birthdays ago.

You see, Evelyn's birthday falls on the day before mine. Imagine many many years ago, we could be lying in the same ward as squealing newborns. We may be born hours apart but we can't be more different.

For a start, I tower over her petite frame. She's a high flier in the finance industry with a string of degree and MBA behind her. I'm from the school of hard knocks. She's happily married with two beautiful daughters while I have two sons. Always beautiful and impeccably groomed, she's an epitome of chic while I'm more of the boho-chick. She shuns the sun while I embrace the outdoors. She drives a Beemer, I own a jeep.

One thing for sure, we're both highly excitable. We'll squeal with delight when we meet. Then we'll laugh and yak non-stop just like old friends. I'm really looking forward to meeting her again.
Let's hope the restaurant will seat us in a corner far away from the crowd.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your reunion!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Darn and I just wrote a post about motorcyclists in my blog.

Have fun at the reunion :D

Anonymous said...

yes... it's funny how opposites attract!

The World According To Me said...

Not a good start to the day. I wish people would take better care on the roads too. Driving should be about responsibility, not speed and carelessness which often leads to tragic and fatal accidents.
And I know how that can feel.

On a lighter note - Enjoy seeing your friend again! I'll listen out for your squeals!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...