Wednesday 1 October 2008

Family lunch

Since it is a public holiday, I hosted a family lunch at my apartment. It's the first time my brothers are visiting, so everyone's excited. It's a potluck party. My younger brother cooked fried bee hoon (below) while my other brother brought a salad and a chocolate cake (which I forgot to take photos of). I prepared popiah and fried chicken wings. CH, his sister and brother in-law came too, bringing a beautiful fruit hamper.

FOOD

The bee hoon looks plain but it's very tasty.
This is the filling for popiah made using turnip, bamboo shoot, carrot, bean curd, bean paste and prawn stock. I started cooking last night and when I heated it up this morning, the flavour had become very sweet and intense.

Here are some of the other fillings used for making a popiah. Fresh lettuce, fried egg strips and blanched bean sprouts.


Boiled prawns and coriander (below). Other ingredients not shown include cucumber strips, crushed toasted peanut, garlic paste, chilli paste and sweet sauce. And the popiah skin (wrap) of course.


This is what a popiah (spring roll) looks like.

I made some fried chicken wing sticks too.

Fruits brought by CH's family.
.

FAMILY
My 3 adorable nieces.


My youngest niece was so fascinated with the octopus, she kept lugging it around the house!




PRESENTS


My talented sis in law made me a lovely birthday card and coasters. Aren't they gorgeous? Can you see Ting's drawing of me (above left)?

She brought me a pack of coffee powder during her last business trip to Vietnam too. I remember drinking the coffee in Vietnam. It really packs a punch!

10 comments:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

The place must have been fun with all the noise and food, which looked real good :D Happy holidays to you, BT.

The World According To Me said...

It looks like you all had a brilliant time! Food, family and presents. What more could a girl want?!

I like the octopus!

Happy holiday.

Amel said...

AWWWWWWWWWW that's such a LOVELY family occasion. The food looks GORGEOUS!!!

So popiah = spring roll!!!!! I LOVE spring rolls he he he...

LOVE all the pics and I also like the octopus and the cards!!! ;-D

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Looks like a fab ol' time. I thought the Octopus was a pig when you could only see the head in the first photo. All those pics of food are making me hungry.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Ohhh popiah! I like popiah :)

It sounded fun Ting. Glad that all of you had a great time.

Blur Ting said...

Nick - We start work today. You're having holiday for the rest of the week! Enjoy your break!!

Blur Ting said...

World - Yah, it was a lovely afternoon indeed.
YK bought the octopus a couple of years back. He must have liked it alot because he lugged that thing home in the train!

Blur Ting said...

Amel - You like spring roll too? Wah, looks like everyone's favourite!

Blur Ting said...

Fish - Indeed, it does look like a pig if you don't look at the tentacles!

Blur Ting said...

MH - When you return to Singapore, I'm going to throw a popiah party just for you!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...