Thursday 1 January 2009

New Year's day

The kids and I stayed up to watch the countdown and spectacular fireworks on TV last night. I woke up to a bright and sunny morning which signals a good start to the new year. So far, it has been a lovely day spent with people who mean alot to me, what more can I ask for?

The morning was spent cooking in the kitchen. CH arrived around noon, followed by best friend and her family. I insisted she bring her mother-in-law because I wanted an opportunity to treat them this time. I have lost count of the number of meals I had eaten at their house.

Lunch was simple fare but eaten with gusto. The pasta vongole was very popular with the kids, I should have cooked more. The ngoh hiang (meat rolls made using minced pork, prawns, water chestnut and onions) were popular too.


Freshly steamed ngoh hiang. They were then pan fried until crispy and fragrant.

I cooked a pot of chicken curry using curry paste, fresh coconut milk, chicken and lots of potatoes. After cooking, I tossed in some fragrant curry leaves picked from my herb garden.

Here's the pot of curry after cooking. I skimmed off the layer of chilli oil before serving. Curry is sinfully good and should be eaten in moderation.

We sat around eating cold dessert and chatted into the afternoon. Soon, they had to leave. We all have to get everything ready for school tomorrow. Ah, I can't believe the school holidays is finally over. It's back to the daily grind again.

5 comments:

The World According To Me said...

Happy New Year to you!
It sounds like you are having a lovely day, surrounded by people you love. And delicious food. What a great start to the year.

I'm so glad we got to meet too in 2008. I sincerely hope our paths cross again!

Michelle said...

Yummy. We did something similar. I made savoury choux puffs (filled with cream cheese, herbs, garlic and onion), my mom made tiny meat balls and we had duck spring rolls and some other snacks we bought from the supermarket.

Basically we nibbled all night (*burp*)

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your loved ones :-)

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Happy New Year Blur Ting. The food you made looks delicious.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Happy New Year BT.

There is no better way to start the new year than with people who means the world to you, ya :D

Here's wishing you and your family nothing but the best for 2009.

Anonymous said...

Ngoh hiang: where did u buy the wrap for the pork/prawn/waterchestnut fillings? Also, would it be possible to eat the rolls after they have been steamed, without the last step of frying? Thanks!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...