Monday 30 March 2009

Cravings

I have been feeling tired lately even after a good night's sleep. While driving home yesterday, I suddenly had a monster craving for savoury fried chicken. As you know, protein is practically absent from my diet, so I saw that as a sign of my body crying out for more nutrition, like pregnant women and their cravings. Some theories hold that there is a wisdom of the body. A craving for milk might mean you need calcium; a craving for fruit may signal a need for vitamin C.

Anyway, visions of KFC chicken and McSpicy burger were dancing in my head but having just drank a cup of oatmeal cereal less than an hour ago, I settled for one fried chicken wing from Old Chang Kee.

The kids are the ones who introduced me to the savoury snack. When I drive into the petrol station to fill up, they would pop by the Old Chang Kee counter to grab some curry puffs, fried chicken wings or cuttlefish on a stick. These are certainly not healthy and should be eaten in moderation but man, they really know how to make delicious snacks. In fact, the chicken wing is more satisfying than KFC chicken!

I've learned a thing or two from the kids. They have introduced me to yummy snacks like nata-de-coco jelly, Mamee Noodles and ice lollies through the years. These are things you wouldn't buy as an adult.

I managed to introduce a new sandwich to YK today. It's the sardine sandwich that we grew up eating. I heated up a can of sardines with onions, lots of fresh chilli and tomato ketchup. Mesh it all up and make a sandwich using multi-grain bread, loads of lettuce and fresh tomato. He was skeptical at first because he's not a sandwich kind of guy (especially wholemeal). I coaxed him to try and he polished up everything and was even eyeing mine.

After the sandwich lunch, my body feels invigorated again. Sometimes we just have to heed our body's calling.

7 comments:

huier said...

How about adding diced tomatoes and some lime or lemon juice into your sardines mix? out of this world!

Blur Ting said...

Huier - Yah, I should try. I can pluck lime from my plant in the garden!

huier said...

that's juz like a mini mart parked right at your doorstep! cool!=)

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

hail our body temple! =P

The Real Mother Hen said...

Sardine sandwich is yummy. Now I am thinking of Sardine curry puff :)

charlie hotel said...

You should introduce him to sugar sandwiches!

auntielucia said...

Try marmite n honey sandwich.. yum!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...