Saturday 4 April 2009

Under the mangosteen trees

I grew up in a small village where most of the roads that led to the houses had no names. Yet the postmen knew how to find us. Our house was at the end of a track off the 17.5-mile mark along Lim Chu Kang Road.

The area we lived in was also famously known as "mung hick kar" which loosely translates to "underneath the mangosteen tree". I remember the huge mangosteen tree by the bus stop. It was so big and tall, we could hardly see any fruits high up on the tree, yet the ground below was often scattered with fruits.

Imagine my amusement when I discovered a cluster of mangosteen trees just outside our development's back gate recently.

I wouldn't have recognised the trees if not for the cute fruits hanging on the branches.

The trees are not very tall yet they are filled with fruits. Seeing the trees remind me of our old village. It seems like life has come full circle. After 20 years, I am living in a place that I can officially call "mung hick kar" again!

5 comments:

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

ah, i feel for this emotion too. i'm born into the HDB having missed out the life living in the kumpung/village. i only vaguely remember staying in my maternal Ah Ma's big attap house way back 25 years ago!

and i was so excited when i reached Cameron Highlands seeing hawkers lining fruits out to sell. like it was back in time. =))))

but alas! no one wants to visit Cameron Highlands with me! all lamented how boring the place is while i love it like bees to honey. hahahahahahahaha......

Blur Ting said...

Oh, I love Cameron Highlands but the drive there is so long. I brought the kids on a drive-away couple of years ago. I like the pasar malam!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

oh the drive, i totally agree. good things make us work for them, no? hehehehehehehe......

Amel said...

Ahhh...coming full circle feels good!!! LOVE the pics!!!

I must say that one thing I love living in a small village is that whenever I'm getting some packages from the PO, I don't need to show my ID since they know who I am already hi hi hi...

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I love mangosteens but I can never seem to find any selling over here ...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...