Sunday 28 June 2009

The good and the bad

The one-month school break is over. When I sent SK to school this morning, a group of masked staff armed with thermometers were checking the students' temperature.

Singapore has 599 confirmed cases of H1N1 and the numbers are set to rise further. It doesn't help that we're moving into the 'heaty' season. Though we have no seasons, the month of July is typically hot and dry. It's also the time where you see piles of 'heaty' tropical fruits like durian, rambutan and lychee at the fruit market.

Growing up in the kampung, our fruit trees would be laden with fruits. We would gorge ourselves silly, sometimes while perched on top of the shady rambutan tree. Inevitably, someone would fall sick and then mum would ban us from eating durians and rambutans for the rest of the holidays. How I love those childhood days!

YK's exams starts today. He's getting used to the hectic life in a tertiary institution. Instead of spending the past few weeks playing basketball and swimming like his younger brother, he had lots of projects and studying to do. Sad to say, it's sucking the fun out of a teenager's life.

I have a dental appointment this afternoon. It's going to be a major treatment and an expensive one. According to the dentist, the tooth underneath the crown doesn't look too good, so that calls for removal of the old crown and replacing with a new one. I'm not looking forward to it really but at this age, things start falling apart, just like my car.

My car refused to start after I had refuelled at the petrol kiosk last week. Luckily I was at the right place and got the battery replaced on the spot. If that had happened while I was on the road, it would have been troublesome. Anyway, the mechanic suggested I bring it in for service soon before something serious happens. I'm planning to send it in tomorrow.

Mum's going back for her MRI results this Wednesday and I hope for good news. She was in good spirits when I saw her yesterday. Pity we didn't have much time to chat.

I received a call from Haagen Daz a week ago saying that I had won a $100 ice cream voucher. I had entered a contest when I bought a birthday cake for YK two months ago. I never knew I could be so lucky.

I shouldn't be eating too much ice cream or I'll be back on the dentist chair again in no time. It hurts to have sweet tooth I tell ya. I should give the vouchers to the kids.

6 comments:

auntielucia said...

Poor thing (Ting)! I hate going to the dentist. As I gag (n throw up) when things are done to the insides of my mouth, I always take the first appointment of the day-- that way, i can skip breakfast and so avoid unseemly incidents during the procedure. Btw, sweet things don't give cavities just by being sweet: only when the residual is left in the mouth for too long..

Blur Ting said...

AuntieLucia - Wah, that sounds bad! Luckily I don't gag. Even though I take good care of my teeth, they are not very strong. Several molars chipped and broke off after I had kids, so now I have 2 crowns.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

The H1N1 tally is rising pretty quick here too ...

And congrats on the Haagen Daz win :D

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

OMG.....perils of having kids.....hope u've a great dental recovery + your mom's. =)

oh, and car's. heh.

Petunia Lee said...

$100/= of Haagen Daz? Wow! Yummy!

Amel said...

Hope your Mom's MRI result is good. Hey, my friend was only 27 years old when the dentist said she should have her crown changed, though she's always had beautiful straight teeth (unlike my un-straight teeth).

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...