Sunday 16 May 2010

He's fine now

Thank you everyone, for the well wishes via the blog and email. YK is well and back in school today, albeit with puffy eyes. The swelling will take several days to go away.

On hindsight, it was a wise move to buy an apartment near the hospital. The first time I rushed YK to the A&E was due to a midnight asthma attack about a year ago. In situations like this, time is of essence.

When we arrived at 3am the other day, the A&E department was rather quiet. The doctors on night duty are usually young and fresh faced, like the one who attended to YK. I could see that he looked nervous at the prospect of inserting an IV catheter into YK's vein. It made me worry too.

True enough, he didn't insert the needle into the vein properly. Poor YK was wincing and tearing from pain for what should have been a painless procedure.

It was almost too painful for me to watch. Memories of a botched attempt by a young doctor when I was admitted to hospital to deliver SK, came flooding back. The pain was unbearable, and it left a huge blue black on my arm for a week.

Anyway, the doctor attending to YK realised his mistake and decided to try the other arm. When I saw him fumbling, I gently suggested that he could get someone to help but he assured me that he could manage. Thankfully the second attempt was a success and the medicine flowed directly into the vein.

The other injection into the arm went without incident. We could see the medication working almost instantly. What a relief.

After spending several hours in the observation ward, YK was discharged. He spent most part of Sunday sleeping at home.

Obviously Mr Puffy Eyes is quite reluctant to attend school today but he has to sit for an important test. Oh, with that blue-black bruise on his arm, he does look like an abused kid.

6 comments:

auntielucia said...

Vein business: I've to have my blood tested every six mths and doctors invariably go for my left arm. Don't know y.

But an incident abt two years ago revealed that vein in my left arm isn't easily locatable. That's y doctors always had trouble.

Whereas tt on my arm gives no problem. So nowadays be4 the doctor on duty does anything, I suggest that he/she goes for the right arm.

It cld be similar thing with YK; also the intern's inexperience, of cos.

Blur Ting said...

You're right. He went for the left arm first. The 2nd attempt was on the right.

Petunia Lee said...

Phew! I am so relieved that he's fine!

Malar said...

Poor YK. May be the lychee is the culprit...... Good to hear that he recover fast!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Glad that he is alright now, phew...

charlie hotel said...

I used to donate white blood cells regularly, and they could never find the vein on my left arm either.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...