Wednesday 21 July 2010

Fire fighting

Why so quiet? Oh, I don't know... It's not that I'm so busy, there's nothing exciting to blog about unless you want to hear about the day my kitchen caught fire.

Something (I forgot what) was simmering away on the stove and I was at the kitchen sink. From the corner of my eye, I thought I saw big orange flames leaping up near the stove. Yup, the newspaper on the countertop was in flames! Thanks to my quick thinking, I threw the burning papers into the sink and doused with running water.

My heart was beating so quickly, luckily my fingers weren't burnt. The kitchen became smoky and the countertop was covered with ashes, yet nobody at home even knew I was frantically putting out a fire.

"I almost burned down the kitchen!", I exclaimed to CH who was reading the papers quietly in the living room.

"Really? How?"

SK's response was even more maddening. "Wow, so cool!"

Hello! Cool? You want to see a charred mummy, is it? The entire kitchen could have been on fire! I can't believe none of you even smelled anything!

To be fair, the kitchen door was closed to prevent any cooking smells from escaping into the living room. Then again, unlike me, these guys don't have a very keen sense of smell. If there's anything amiss, like gas leaks, I can't depend on them to save my life!

7 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

Hmmmmmph! Men!! :-)

charlie hotel said...

Dinner was tasty though..

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

CH: hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Malar said...

The guys were concentrating on waiting for your delicious dinner that they can't smell anything i guess! ;-))!

The World According To Me said...

Kids are funny, - cool! I agree, burnt mummy and kitchen is not so cool.

Well done with your quick thinking.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

CH: Hahahaha.. someone has to be the cool and calm one I suppose.
Ting: I can totally understand.. When at times I'm about to tear my hair out.. The Husband will say something so nonchalantly, I just get madder.. :p

Amel said...

GLAD to hear nothing worse happened. Phew! Well, when it comes to smell, hubby's the one with the sensitive nose. I, on the contrary, have super non-sensitive nose ha ha ha...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...