Thursday 1 July 2010

New dog at the farm

My life seems to revolve around dogs. Lost dogs, stray dogs, sick dogs, recuperating dogs...you name it, I've seen them all.

Today I'll talk about this new dog that strolled into our farm and stayed behind. Obviously someone had left the dog outside our gate. Initially we thought it was our tenant's. Then we realised it has been abandoned.

Whatever it is, the dog is now under my parent's care. They got him a licence too. My nieces name him Harry. He's really happy here. I heard he's a good watchdog. He barks at strangers and alerts my mum when someone's at the door.

Yet, when I sit next to him, he immediately turns over to be belly rubbed. You would know that he was once loved and pampered. I just wonder why the owner decided to give him up.

We've asked around the neighbourhood. Nobody has seen him before. He can't be a lost dog because our farm is very far away from the nearest residential estate.

Recently our worker saw a man speeding off after letting two dogs out of his car. The poor dogs ran after the car when they realised they were being left behind. It's really sad. How many dumped dogs can the farms take in?

Perhaps the previous owner has no other solution and thinks it is more humane than putting the dogs to sleep. Then why have them in the first place?

If you think it is wrong to abandon your child in the streets, then you should never dump your dog. Nor should you deny your pet of medical treatment when it is sick. It didn't ask to be your pet. It could have found a better home if not for you. It's life is in your hands.

6 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

Ting - When I move in, I would like another dog. Now I know who to ask to get a dog.

Malar said...

I wish i'm in Singapore so that i can get one from you...or may be Bodhi.....

Amel said...

That's sad. :-((( But I'm glad this one found a home...he's VERY lovely!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

He is so cute...

Anonymous said...

it hurts to think about why people abandon their dogs. It broke my heart when you wrote about the dog running after the car when they realise they've been abandoned. I wish there was some way we could punish them. I hope those people get abandoned at some point in their lives in future to know how much hurt they're causing these fine little creatures. =(

Anonymous said...

Agree with Anoymous. When I read about how the poor dogs chased after the car and the owner who abandoned them, it's really heartbreaking, just imagining such a sight. I hope their owner(s) reaps what he has sown.

Like your blog alot.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...