Monday 23 August 2010

Life's a journey

It's only 11am and I'm already thinking about dinner. I have some chicken thawing in the fridge, think I'll make Coca Cola Chicken tonight.

It may sound weird at first but considering Coke consists of sugar, caramel and citric acid (I think), I don't see why it's not commonly used in the kitchen. I suspect the dish may end up tasting like the sweet sticky chicken (which uses honey and balsamic vinegar instead) that I often cook.

I have lots of broccoli in the fridge as well. The kids like their broccoli firm and lightly cooked unlike the mushy ones served at my parent's home. When we were living there, they complained about the bland and soft food that grandma cooked. Of course they're happy that I'm the one making dinner now because I cook their favourite dishes.

Life is indeed a journey even when it comes to food. In our youth, we indulged in all kinds of food but as soon as we hit middle-age, we become more conscious of what goes into the body. Then when we become old and ill, we may have a hard time keeping our food down.

My mum can no longer eat apples and nuts. When it comes to vegetables and fruits, only the softest and non fibrous ones will do. Even the fish she can eat is limited to the tenderest kind. Sadly enough, she is also too weak to cook. Now that she has hung up her apron, the kids will never get to eat mushy and tasteless food again.

11 comments:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I have to agree ... I used to hate vegetables as kid but upon growing up, I can't go without my daily intake of vegetables ... And I like my broccoli firm too :D

Blur Ting said...

Nick - Heh heh, you like broccoli firm cos you still have strong teeth! I'll check with you 30 years later :-)

Ji said...

yes, coke can do wonders to meat. I have cooked Nigella's ham in coke for the past 3 christmas dinners and it was always a hit.

WaterLearner said...

Indeed life is a journey.

The art is to embrace every moment.

JY69 said...

Yep indeed... I see it at the old folk's home where I work. The diet changes dramatically with age. Enjoy while you can!

Amel said...

Ahhh...indeed my parents also have to really be careful about the food that they eat...my Dad esp. 'coz he has diabetes. Sorry to hear about your Mom...hope she's in a good enough health to enjoy life no matter what, though.

Blur Ting said...

Ji - Wow, I must try that recipe sometime. By the way, I didn't cook Coke chicken afterall cos I didn't have any coke at home.

Blur Ting said...

Water - Yup, wise words!

Blur Ting said...

JY - I think working at the home makes you appreciate life even more.

Blur Ting said...

Amel - Lots of health issues crop up when we age. Sadly that is part and parcel of life.

Malar said...

Once we grow old, our diet change drastically i guess! Anyway firm or not, vegetable is good for health! Your mum is creative enough!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...