Tuesday 21 February 2012

Mad about chicken

The kids and I aren't big meat eaters. Actually our diet comprises mostly vegetables and seafood. When it comes to meat, we eat mostly chicken. Even then, the kids prefer breast meat which happens to be the part I dislike the most. We often find chicken that hasn't been properly marinated too 'chickeny' for our liking.

CH is more adventurous when it comes to food. He loves mutton and can never understand why I complain it's too gamey. When we're eating out, he orders beef or mutton which he can't get at my house. If tripe or something exotic like camel is on the menu, he would order it!

While we were eating at Buyan Russian Restaurant last Friday, we had a hard time picking the main dish. Finally, we settled for the Jordanian roast chicken. Despite the rich aroma, the chicken tasted a little bland. We felt that the chicken wasn't marinated long enough for the spices to penetrate. Then again, it's a Russian restaurant, so we weren't expecting anything too fiery.

Last week, while I was at the butcher (gourmet one), I was intrigued to see a selection of spatchcocked chicken marinating in spices, herbs or lemon. They're ready-to-cook and ideal for busy working people. But the prices are quite steep.

So guess what I did? I went to the wet market and bought two pieces of half chicken at a fraction of the price. I marinated one in herbs from my garden while for the other half, I used a spice rub and lots of garlic and shallots.

When I got home from work yesterday, I popped the marinated chicken together with some potatoes, carrot and onion into the oven and went on to do other stuff. The chicken turned out very juicy and full of flavour.

I've decided to do this every weekend so I can have ready-to-cook chicken during the week. I can get really creative with the marinate as well!

9 comments:

Amel said...

Yum yummm...over here funnily enough, marinated meat (chicken, beef, pork) sold in restos is CHEAPER than the plain types!!!! Crazy, isn't it? So it's actually tougher for me to want to put my own marinate 'coz buying plain types costs more - sometimes I buy the marinated type, soak it in water for hours, then marinate it if I really want to use my own marinade mixture ha ha...

And they're marinated well enough that all I need is to put them in the oven until they're done.

Btw, I also don't really like breast meat. Love the legs better!!!

Blur Ting said...

Amel - Oh? I wonder why...

Here only the upmarket supermarkets sell marinated meat. I think these don't appeal to the locals here cos we can get cooked food easily from the food centres.

Wen-ai said...

Ahhh. I always find it tough to roast chickens let.... somehow my chickens will either turn out a bit dry, or the skin soggy. ugh.

Blur Ting said...

Wen-ai - The trick is to marinate for several days. Then roast for a longer time on lower heat. Towards the end, change it to grill on high heat to getthe skin crispy.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Looks yum - I always wanted to know - do you marinate the chicken and pop it into the fridge or freezer?

For Wen ai - I roast chicken at 180 deg and then turn it up to 200 in the last 10 minutes. Cooking it beer can style or with a lemon in the centre helps to keep the meat moist :)

Blur Ting said...

I put in the chiller but if I can't cook after 3 or 4 days, I'll put in the freezer.

The World According To Me said...

That sounds a fine way to cook a chicken. I love chicken, personally I'd rather eat it over red meat.

Malar said...

Very good idea. Shorter cooking preparation time during weekdays!
Anyway I have sent you again some sunflower seeds. Hope this time you iwll receive it! ;)

Blur Ting said...

Thanks Malar!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...