Wednesday 31 October 2012

The inevitable

When I was in my late twenties, we lived in a small condo development with only 28 apartments. Below us lived a family with a young kid. The Taiwanese wife was the prettiest in the entire block. She was like an actress or what you might call the trophy wife. You know... porcelain complexion, delicate features, svelte figure, well groomed and always in pretty dresses.

Each time I saw her, I would go 'wow' and suck in my tummy. We lived there for about 8 years, residents came and went but she remained the prettiest mommy in the block.

Then one morning I saw her at the foyer as usual and she seemed to have aged overnight. Maybe my rose-tinted glasses weren't working anymore but the glow on her face was no longer there. The radiant skin had turned rather saggy and sallow.

Then it dawned on me that she had merely aged. She was already in her forties and the signs were beginning to show. I knew the same will happen to me one day.

When I entered my forties, I braced myself for that day. I constantly check myself in my photos for the signs. When we see ourselves in the mirror, we see not the real self but what we want to see. The truth is in the photographs.

Last night, I had to get some photos done for my passport renewal. Instead of going to the photo booth, SK kindly set up his SLR camera on the tripod so we could get the portraits shot at home. So convenient of course but the results were rather shocking.

Now seeing yourself in hi-resolution takes some getting used to. Nothing escapes the camera's lens. Every single spot and line show up clearly on your face.

While SK's youthful features are captured perfectly, all I see in my photos are the facial lines and wrinkles. Too bad we had chosen to shoot late in the night when my face is tired and at the droopiest.

Feeling somewhat dejected, I went online and submitted the photos for the passport renewal. I could have done some touching up first but it was already late. Besides, other than the immigration officers, who cares how you look on the passport anyway.

I am ready to admit that the day has finally come. Ageing is inevitable, just embrace it and move on.
Not for the passport...

7 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

It's ok Ting. At our age, we exchange our youth for kids who love us and dogs who adore us.

Blur Ting said...

Yes, I agree.

Amel said...

I've actually started noticing lately that my neck skin isn't as supple as before. My friend who's the same age has told me the same thing. She calls it "neck aging". She said that the last time she went to Indo, she also noticed that some school friends had the same problem ha ha ha ha...

Indeed can't escape aging and the power of gravity, but that's OK.

Blur Ting said...

Yes Amel, that is one of the first signs of ageing. But please, you're still so young!

My Sinfonia said...

i am beginning to be proud of my lines. i earned them ;) you look gorgeously happy. who cares cares about the lines

Amel said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA...you make me laugh, Ting. :-) I'm not sad about my neck aging. It's actually interesting to find differences as time goes by hi hi hi...

CH said...

They should allow dogs in passport photos, so people can hide their necks : )

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...